And a Happy New Year

The three youngest are up at Grandma's house. Dallin is home with me and Tiffany. Tiffany is getting over her cold, mine continues to drag along, and sometimes seems to be getting worse. Snow is coming down fast. The temperature is falling. Christmas is over. As soon as New Year's is over, we get into the long drawn out part of winter. You know the kind. Where your fingers and toes never seem to warm up. It's dark when you get up for work, dark when you get home from work, and may even wonder if the sun ever actually got itself up and out of bed. Cabin fever sets in and unless you have a chance to hit the slopes, there really isn't much to look forward to. I was never really sure why people say, 'Happy New Year'. Really? I think that should be like May 1st, not January.

But isn't that the way it should be? Shouldn't we be happy even during the dreariness of life? Think, when it's snowing, I don't have to do yard work. I can sit and watch a football game (though, I admit, I rarely do) and not feel guilty that the lawn isn't mowed. I think that is why I enjoy the Winter Olympics more than the Summer; I generally don't have other activities that require my time in February. But the same is said about sickness and poor health. The over used saying of, it's '10% what happens and 90% of how you react to it' really is accurate. This scare with Tiffany's cancer was a blow, no doubt, but honestly, we have grown as we have tried to look at the goodness that has come from what should be a low point in life.

So, with that said, I hope that this coming Saturday that you will have A Happy New Year.

Cheers,

Nathan

Comments

  1. Nathan,
    I love your blog. You always seem to say what I am thinking, I just can't get it out as eloquently as you. Today I was feeling exactly what you wrote about...what's so great about the new year? It's bitter cold, the kids are climbing the walls, and there's no end in sight! Plus Christmas is over! Boo! Thanks for the insight.
    Katie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts