Presidential Primary

It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.
~Ronald Reagan

Ahhh, the journey begins for many people who think so highly of themselves that they should become President of the United States of America.

This post is not about politics. Rather, no matter which party you favor, no matter your position on certain issues, I ask the question, who in their right mind would want to become the President of the USA?

Don't get me wrong, it is not just the presidential post I wonder about. What about our state legislatures, Governor, and other offices. Even at the local level government I feel to ask the same question.

At the heart of the issue, I feel, is that somebody that thinks so highly of themselves that they can do the job better than anybody else creates a real problem for me.

Seldom, if ever, do you find a candidate that says - 'Here I am, here are my credentials. I may not be the best candidate, but I am sure that with help, I could do the job. If you find somebody better, please, pick them.'

How refreshing that would be to hear.

I dabbled in government for a while, wanting to help make decisions, and do so more than simply voting (which I feel is worthy of our time - though being involved at a greater level allows that much more input) by applying for one of our cities planning commission positions. I did and held the position for 4 and a half years and resigned just before Tiffany's exciting run in with her health.

In that time I learned two things;

1 - Power hunger can be created while serving in government posts.
2 - I never want to run for any elected post.

I liked wielding the 'power' that I had, insomuch that I was tempted to stay on longer. I don't think I did anything on the planning commission that I did not believe was a positive thing for the city, or that I did not think was right. But having a say in shaping policy and planning made me, in some ways, want more.

Which lead me to my second thought - which is not what our government needs - people who want to be in power. We need people who will humbly serve, give great ideas, use input and thought on issues at hand, make decisions accordingly, and otherwise stay out of the way (and out of the limelight) of the people they serve.

In addition, I saw the lose-lose situation almost all elected officials get themselves into. Though they often want to wield the power, they generally find that you only hear from the people who don't like what you do. The people who like you or don't care about you stay on the sidelines. Very few times in public discussion are there meaningful discussions, ideas, thoughts, negotiations (at least at the local level) that get real consideration. Some may try, but generally, public clamor wins most battles - if the people ain't happy, you ain't getting your job back.

So back to my original thought. Why would somebody want a political post?

My answer to that question, scares me silly.

I hope you have a better answer.

Cheers, and hope for the best.

Nathan

Comments

Popular Posts