Vices

Vice knows she's ugly, so puts on her mask.
~Benjamin Franklin

Do you have something that holds you back?

Is there something in your persona that entices you to the point of not getting other things done?

I do. And don't think I am going to tell you what that is. It could be reading. It could be eating. It could be playing games, or watching TV. It could be surfing the web, day dreaming or heaven forbid, exercising. Or it could be more cynical in nature, though no need to go down that path for this exercise.

Little imperfections in our character that will us away from doing what we should do. I don't necessarily mean choosing right over wrong, but often between good and better, though good over bad may be a character flaw many of us have to overcome. The things I mentioned here aren't bad things. And they generally aren't even any where near bad things. But I think, sometimes, we desire more to do good things, than better things.

Take reading for example. I love to read. And since I was young, I have been taught that reading is good. I carry that tradition into our home (with a lot of help from Tiffany) knowing that reading is one of the best ways to expand the mind. But I also know that when I find a book that keeps my interest, I let other things fall apart. Maybe it is that I don't go to bed at a decent hour. I have been known to stay up for hours after midnight because I just can't put down a good book. I have to know what happens next. The consequence: The next day I am drowsy and don't perform my labors as I should. Or maybe the consequence is that I tell the kids to go watch TV because I am too interested in my book that I don't go and play with them.

And then it is lost. Time. Influence. Bonds. All gone. I know that their life, and mine, would have been better had I put that book down and gone and done something together.

And we could discuss similar issues for different flaws that bind us in this experience we call life.

I would ask why we do it. Or better, why I do it. Why do I allow my petty flaws to interrupt my peace?

But rather than wallow in self pity our endless doubt, my mind wraps around a thought from scripture,

'Awake my soul, no longer droop in sin, Rejoice, O my heart and give place no more for the enemy of my soul.'


There is a power that comes from this thought. There is a power that comes from making that first decision to put down that book, stop surfing the net, or not watching that silly TV show.

At least when you shouldn't be.

Self mastery: A skill worth overcoming for.

And to all those that may struggle. Hang in there. I understand.

Cheers,

Nathan

PS.
Search others for their virtues, thy self for thy vices.
~Benjamin Franklin

Comments

Popular Posts