Summer Break

I decided this summer that hands down, I so much prefer year round school than traditional schedule.

There are pros and cons to each, but having kids in both, I tell you what, a 3 month summer is way too long!

Dallin started his summer with a list of things to do and a motivation to do them. Two months into his summer, he has lost the motivation and along with his brothers, would prefer to sit in front of the TV or Wii than do things that would broaden his horizons.

But just so you know, they don't get to simply play the Wii or watch TV, though I am sure they get their share of doing so.

Logan got out of school on July 1, and went back on July 26th. That was perfect. He was home long enough to get a break and back to school he went. He will get another break in a month or so and again around Christmas. The three weeks is just long enough for them to have a break, but they don't forget everything they learned and just as they start to get on mom and dads nerves, back to school they go.

A great system! Yes, it has its flaws, but I think the long summer break that the traditional schedule gets created its own demise in my mind.

Part of me wonders why we don't consider getting rid of summer break any ways, aside from tradition and a reason for it a hundred years ago, is there a real purpose for it today?

A question worth looking into. (And a hot button topic, I am sure.)

All for another day or another post. But today, know that year round school has my vote!

Cheers,

Nathan

Comments

Popular Posts