Taking a Chance

I sometimes feel like this poem.

I often have a chance down two paths. We all do. Not spiritual paths, though each path we take really is its own spiritual journey. But paths of simple choice.

I am not talking about choices such as becoming an artist or an engineer. Or moving to city A or city B. But choices like, eating a burrito or experiencing caviar. Walking to church or getting in the car and driving. It could even be watching movie A versus movie B.

Each a choice. Each with a consequence. These consequences shouldn't be, and often on their own aren't life altering. But we make them for one reason or another.

And then, like the poet said, one choice leads to the next, and before you know it, we are well on our way down a specific path, which sometimes leads you to places never intended in the first place.

Hmmm. I will always wonder if I should have had that caviar.

The Road Not Taken
~Robert Frost
TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.


Cheers,

Nathan

Comments

Popular Posts