Thanksgiving - don't ruin it please!

Thanksgiving dinners take eighteen hours to prepare. They are consumed in twelve minutes. Half-times take twelve minutes. This is not coincidence. ~Erma Bombeck
I am tempted to say that this won't impact my life.  But long term - I think it will.

Target, Best Buy, and Kohls opens Friday morning at midnight.  Walmart opens at 10:00 Thursday night.  Old Navy isn't closed at all this Thanksgiving.

How do I know this?  Because I am listening to Pandora and the the commercials being played are all about these openings.  I don't go shopping on Black Friday unless it is due to the regular course of life.  And when I have, even at a decent hour - say 11:00 am, the stores are dead.  At least compared to their opening hour.

But what I fear is that the all-powerful Christmas dollar continues to sneak it's dirty head into the doors of otherwise great holidays.  Thanksgiving and Christmas are generally the only days of the year that *stores close and individuals get time off to spend time with family.  All other holidays retail establishments are usually staffed at normal levels. 

I go back and suggest that this trend this year won't impact me.  And it likely won't this year.  But with time I think the social blessings Thanksgiving and Christmas instill in our country, will be diminished.  Yes, a slippery slope argument in that life will be altered as we move to opening Thanksgiving to everyday life.

I can see it now - I am 70 years old talking to my great grand kids;

"I remember when we had a day of Thanksgiving.  A holiday that the whole country stopped for a moment to give gratitude - for whatever."

"Nice grandpa - like anybody has anything to be grateful for, let alone to take a day of to contemplate these thoughts."
Yep - Thanksgiving will be gone one day.  Oh, it will be around like most of our other holidays.  But it will be gone.  The only hope I have is that "Black Thursday", as some are starting to call it, turns out just dismal crowds and that the backlash is great.

But one thing that Walmart has taught us - we are willing to do anything as long as it is at a good price.

I wonder when Christmas won't feel so sacred?

I hope I am not around to find out - though I fear I will be.

Cheers,

Nathan


*Yes, I know that this is not 100% true - but it's pretty close.

Comments

Popular Posts